badge

Saturday 20 February 2016

Working for Peanuts

I recently visited old Delhi or the Walled city as it is commonly known as. Irrespective of the time of the day and part of the year that you go ,it is always bustling with people.Navigation through the streets is no mean task. People transacting,buying and selling and conducting the business of life.Some go there for work others to experience the old world charm,other find old delhi alluring for the food that it offers. For me it was time to retrace my roots. Actually I am a true Delhiite or Dilli Wala and I can trace back by roots up to 4 generations who were born and grew up in Delhi.In good old days of life in Chandni Chowk life was quite different. In the times when my grandfather or his father used to lived there and whom of course I never met used to be quite regal. In the lane that led to our ancestral home there were quite a few landmarks that one could recognize as I visited that place as a child. The path of Navigation down memory lane is not always smooth. As we entered the main gate of what once used to be a familiar lane bore a distinctly different look. Almost all the familiar landmarks of that lane have been erased. The first thing that we missed was the coal seller and his shop which was right at the entrance, Gone is the coal seller and gone are the coal marks that were there near his shop perhaps erased by the passage of times. The whole lane has been converted into a commercial market. There are very few homes left. Once we could hear the sounds of All India Radio playing out old peppy songs but now those homes are no longer there. Neither are there any familiar faces. The place where my great grand father used to sit and chat with his friend has also been demolished. Luckily the temple is intact where my grandmother used to go and pray.Our maternal home which was on the end of the lane is locked away as no one stays there any more. The walls either got demolished or could not stand their tryst with time. Yet the memories of this place are still intact somewhere on the canvas of my mind. I look back to take another look at my ancestral home or what is left of it and moved on as I walk along BaghDiwar and walk towards Fatehpuri. As this roads ends I find myself standing in from of a church that has stood the test of time. On my right is a peanut seller. Selling hot peanuts and popcorns. I buy some to eat and the hot peanuts are yummy. Perhaps I should take some just as we used to take them back home when I used to visit with my grandfather. I request him if he can give me a bag to carry the hot peanuts in and he gladly extends a bag. He begins to share his pearls of wisdom with me by saying “Pyar se maango to Sab kuch Milega” meaning if you ask lovingly you would get everything. Then he says now a days every one is living for one own self parents do not have time for children. Nor children have any time or love for their siblings.Then he asks me do you live here ? I point towards the direction of my maternal home “there is my Nanihal” or maternal home. Mr Md. Wali the peanut seller nods and smiles and say do come again.
I collect my bag of peanuts and a bigger bag of fantastico memories and walk away 

 This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment